Skip to main content

How to get Booked as a Singer

 ...preferably not offending sixteen retired Admirals...



                                                            At a happier occasion...


  I sang "The Holy City" in Aldeburgh Catholic Church at the funeral of Gerard Minden's Great Uncle Jasper.

  Gerard introduced to both me and this blog here...
 
  There had been a muted scandal some years before.
  Gerard explained, ‘Uncle Jasper would say that, being Catholic, we all have our peculiar use for rosaries...' 
  Jasper's mother, for one, told his aunt during the second world war that a cyanide capsule was a vitamin pill. 
  'Anyway, Great Uncle Jasper was telling his specific Rosary while he taught English...hand in trouser pocket fuddling his privates.  At times of high stress (possibly an Emily Dickinson) he’d find he was telling on a visible erection.  “Pulsing, bucking, lolling, dear boy.  I used firmly to warn it to bugger off before I read it some fucking Tennyson”.’
  Gerard’s star-command blue eyes had welled.  ‘Iestyn, he was in a real state when I visited. His third wife has pegged it. He’s living in filth – but real filth – forgets if he’s eaten and has to check crockery for degrees of crustiness; and he’s let a hernia ride, numbing the pain with whiskey and codeine. Had to get the doctor in when, finally, he couldn’t keep it back even with six t-towels knotted. The doc put his stethoscope to his now elephantine bollocks. Definite sounds from within of digestion.’ Gerard pulled me to him.  'God knows what might have stuck its head through, squinted, then made a dash for it during Songs of Praise. True to form, uncle Jasper cadged a spare stethoscope for the edification of visitors.  “Dear boy, have a crouch and listen-in to my stomach acid making its best of Fray Bentos and suede mash. What’s that you say: a sort of part-groaning, part whizzing, part whooshing?  Expect that’s some gorgeous, oozing, bejellied crust…”.' 
  Gerard got serious. 'Iestyn, he’s on his way out. Any time now, really.  You wouldn’t sing at his funeral for me?’

  This is unusual, granted.  But is definitely a How to get Booked as a Singer.

  I sang.  And afterward, in the churchyard, was Paul ‘The Embezzler’ Mills-Thomas.  Paunchy, blotchy, hair like Margaret Rutherford.  I used to crash his Aldeburgh drinks parties pretending to be one of his son’s defunct French exchanges.  Oh, Monsieur Mills-Thomas. It is I, Bertrand. Do you not remember when Madame and Toby do the Constable Country tour but we stayed ourselves ‘ere for the ooh la la, nom d’une pipe and allez-oop?  And you was telling me what a florid little morsel I would be: were they still allez-up: my testes.
  'Lovely singing, Yeltsin  I'm sure I heard one of the real greats sing that.’  Paul crunched around a tiny box step in the gravel. ‘On a seventy-eight. With the mud scraped out of the grooves.  But still with all the proper trumpety tone.  Caruso, possibly.’
  ‘And when did you take up the post of classical music critic on the Daily Mail,’ Gerard asked.
  ‘Gerard.  That poem you read out: new one on me.’
  ‘Hardly surprised, seeing as its first word isn’t if and it doesn’t contain the line “Someone had blundered”.’
  Paul turned to me. ‘By the way, Yeltsin, have you ever thought of trying out for the cruise ships?  There was something quite like you on our last cruise. Gave me a CD he’d made.  He was removed from the cruise.  Seen on CCTV coming out of a male passenger’s cabin during the chaplain’s lunch. I’ve still got the CD.  Perhaps you could make use of it for research?’
  Gerard, pointing, said, ‘Perhaps you could have done some research of your own, Paul, and bought a fake Garrick Club tie that was at least a bit like?’
  ‘Talking of old school ties…old ties.  I never believed there was anything serious re Jasper and the accusations. And, anyway, at Radley in my day - ’
  ‘Yes, we know, Paul: your generation all made light of being bummed.  Saw it as being on a par with “No harm done getting the clip round the ear hole from the local bobby”; or “Going up chimneys or down mines was just what we did”; “TB was such a jolly wheeze”.’
  Paul made an about turn and walked to his SAAB with his shoulders hanging back like a bat’s wings.  With his keys in the driver’s door he turned to shout, ‘And by the by, Yeltsin.  Your hat lent specially for H.M.S. Pinafore. You’ve caused quite an Aldeburgh to-do writing to thank the wrong admiral.’

  #howtogetbookedasasinger #funeral #funerals #ideasforafuneralservice #dailymail

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mate Jamie-Ray Hartshorne

     I've been noticing that alongside photos of Jamie-Ray being a lead in Altar Boys , creating Change My Body UK TM , working the door at Freedom - and clearly asking people passing by wherever that rockpool may be to snap a double-bicep - this sort of thing is cropping up on his social media:   We're in The Diner, Jamestown Road, Camden.  He's between tour dates of  The Bodyguard,  and meetings to discuss sportswear and creatine endorsements.  The latter, he says, being all about making his product better.   Between sips of his peanut butter milkshake (he's allowing himself dairy today in my honour - I don't quite know how to take that) he says in his soft Brum, 'I've signed up for a major Muay Thai event in Thailand next February.  I'm going up against one of the Thai fighters.  That's the only real way to gain any respect in the fighting world.  That's why you've been noticing the combat photos.  I...

Psychic Readings

  As it's Summer Solstice, let's revisit my mother's lodge for a seance.  We know from a previous blog entry that lodge members are asked only to heal, and to have no truck with past lives and spirit guides.  See:   Previous blog featuring the lodge...   On the QT they have seances, at which the medium tunes in to great mysteries of the past.  Here are some of the readings.  I've taken out anything that explicitly reveals the subject of the reading.  Then we can play at guessing what it might be...      'There's something to do with a pile of tied up newspapers.  Was there an evening paper delivery?  They need to talk to the paper boy from back then as he saw something relevant but didn't understand at the time what it was he was seeing. There's also something to do with the plants by the front door.  The leaves of one of them were too dark to have been real.  Put there on purpose to deflect attention from ...

Me Featuring in The Sunday Times, Nicely...

  This happened. The editor thinks it's a book of dog sitter stories waiting to happen. I am scribbling away at same...  I first house-sat by accident. I was originally at Haven House, Lembton, as a live-in safety net for Lady Olive Simmonds, a seventy-nine year-old Bostonian with a lilac afro, a Temazepam habit and leg ulcers. Haven House was by the sea. Eighteenth century, elegant, comfortable.  But there was Olive... Always in pain; either drunk, hungover or both; barely educated. She had married a man who was knighted, and believed this gave her a licence to be a twat. According to Olive, her fellow Lembtonians were all dull academics - this group having reading ages older than hers, which was thirteen - or failed schizophrenics. She had serious monophobia, with staff working (unnecessarily) every day apart from weekends. At weekends, first thing, anxious, she would ring round the Lembtonians that were still speaking to her - six in number - inviting them for coffee, ...