Skip to main content

Gerard's Granny's Thing

  He was saying, 'And another thing women do is rant about men not being able to control their animal urges.'  
  'Who's he by the fire?' I whispered to Sophie.
  'Gerard Minden.'
  We were in the Dolphin Inn, Thorpeness, at the start of the Christmas holidays.  I was on holiday from my full time teaching job at the Guildford School of Acting. Sophie was on holiday from daddy's Platinum Card. 
  Gerard, lolling on a settle before the open fire, had the face of a Botticelli angel, a come back to bed Eton mane; and beneath a lilac cardigan his pecs were giving an exacting stretch-test to a t-shirt saying: Rupe's Gym. Take the guilt off all that gingerbread, Fat Boy!  He was surrounded by Clapham Common girls wearing what could have been strippers' nightwear and Uggs; with that hair - grown long and left matted, ripe for a nit-comb. 
  'I may not be able to control my animal urges - needing to spill my seed like a hose you can't manage to get your foot on, apparently, how clever - but what about yours, oh woman? Katie, this forty-something I have on the go at the moment; always trying to convince me not to wrap it before I tap it so she can have a child. Saying it won't be about me, that I wouldn't have to be involved in it in any way. LIke I'm artificial insemination prettily packaged. I have a psyche. Has not a junior-god eyes?  Has not a junior-god hands?  if you prick us, do we  - '
  One of the Clapham Common girls had giggled at the word prick. 
  'Talking of things to control, sweets,' Gerard said, studying the heel of his left shoe. 'Anyway, Katie. In June...coincidentally, right at the beginning of the wedding season.  I refused to go to any of her mates' weddings with her. Did agree a couple of times to laugh at the photos on her i-phone afterward. But made clear that was the old thin end of the wedge...'
  'Good for you, Gerard,' one of the Clapham Common girls said; not the one who had giggled. The others turned to look at her like cows at a calf that has fallen down in the shed. Gerard was once more finding his left heel riveting. 
  'So, in June, Katie laid on a weekend for us at this place Moreton-in-Marsh. She only works in events PR, otherwise it might have been Avington or somewhere. And I was about to make it the home run just when we'd first got there - it's her insistence on sex straight away, not mine: I quite like to at least wait for the luggage-wallah to leave the room - and she starting holding onto the top of the condom, trying to make it slip off as I slipped out. "Can we watch our talons on my glans, sweetheart?" I asked, over the sound of her ecstatic panting. Had to prize her fingers off, maybe a bit roughly. She breaks down crying. Whines about her how body-clock tick-tocking away. I tell her straight: if she doesn't want to put an end to the mini-break there and then to stick her body-clock out of earshot in the drawer with the old Gideon's. And I warn her that I'm going to be subjecting subsequent condoms to a thorough water-balloon test. I find she's clammed up so tightly now, I'm at risk of nutcrackerage up there. So I call a taxi, leave her - '
  'Gerard, get up at once!'  
  An elderly woman was glaring down at him over the side of the settle.  She had an immaculate, shingled blue-rinse, and was wearing the Chanel pink and black cashmere sweater-set with a single string of pearls.  
  'Who's that?' I asked Sophie, watching Gerard roll upright off the settle. 
  'His granny. Lady Minden. Has this thing where she - '
  'And now, Gerard,' said his granny, 'spell: Despicable, obnoxious and vulgarian!'
  Sophie was nodding. 'That's Gerard's granny's thing.'
  

  #sexism #battleofthesexes #gymbody 
  
  
  
  
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mate Jamie-Ray Hartshorne

     I've been noticing that alongside photos of Jamie-Ray being a lead in Altar Boys , creating Change My Body UK TM , working the door at Freedom - and clearly asking people passing by wherever that rockpool may be to snap a double-bicep - this sort of thing is cropping up on his social media:   We're in The Diner, Jamestown Road, Camden.  He's between tour dates of  The Bodyguard,  and meetings to discuss sportswear and creatine endorsements.  The latter, he says, being all about making his product better.   Between sips of his peanut butter milkshake (he's allowing himself dairy today in my honour - I don't quite know how to take that) he says in his soft Brum, 'I've signed up for a major Muay Thai event in Thailand next February.  I'm going up against one of the Thai fighters.  That's the only real way to gain any respect in the fighting world.  That's why you've been noticing the combat photos.  I...

Psychic Readings

  As it's Summer Solstice, let's revisit my mother's lodge for a seance.  We know from a previous blog entry that lodge members are asked only to heal, and to have no truck with past lives and spirit guides.  See:   Previous blog featuring the lodge...   On the QT they have seances, at which the medium tunes in to great mysteries of the past.  Here are some of the readings.  I've taken out anything that explicitly reveals the subject of the reading.  Then we can play at guessing what it might be...      'There's something to do with a pile of tied up newspapers.  Was there an evening paper delivery?  They need to talk to the paper boy from back then as he saw something relevant but didn't understand at the time what it was he was seeing. There's also something to do with the plants by the front door.  The leaves of one of them were too dark to have been real.  Put there on purpose to deflect attention from ...

More Stuff I've Overheard

'Famous actors don't need to dress like famous actors. Apart from Simon Callow always seems to.' 'She smells like she hasn't actually had that winter coat out as much as needed.' 'Christopher, you can't possibly know that Sea Salt won't have a man's fragrance.' 'None of us on the till thought it was possible to override the take away drinks machine and do an oat milk hot chocolate. But Little Mary went on a mission. Sally and Big Mary were looking on, to see how Little Mary managed it. I stayed out of the way - didn't want any part, sorry. Took ever so long. Janice buttered at least three crusty rolls in the meantime.  'When she handed the drink over Little Mary asked the customer if it was okay - it being a bit of a freak beverage - and he said it wasn't as hot as it could be, but that meant it wouldn't over-melt the marshmallow on his Easter Bunny biscuit, would it?  'Mary said, "All's well that ends well, t...