Skip to main content

Countdown to "My Tutu Went AWOL" Stanford's Travel Bookshop April 12th, 6.30

  Click to pre-book your place, nicely

  Stacks, Royal Marine, central figure in My Tutu Went AWOL, thinks that driving a car can't be classed as travel.
  I said, 'Not even something on the level of Route 66?'
  'No.  It's still driving a car.  Travel implies someone else has their hand on the wheel. Or the tiller.  Or the throttle.'
  We were having this conversation between Christmas and New Year in the walk-in health centre.  Cut a long story short, I was house sitting, had been feeling default setting ill for months, and had now begun to feel really sick.  Looking up my symptoms online, I realised that I couldn't rule out bowel cancer. 
  Yes, I know.  Never look up symptoms online.  We had the Reader's Digest medical pull-out in the seventies.  When my mother had swollen glands; my father had to physically stop her giving herself a tracheotomy with a Bic Biro.  God knows what she'd be like these days if she could understand anything more technical than a slow-cooker.
  Two of my uncles died of bowel cancer and their symptoms were virtually identical to mine.  I really couldn't rule it out.  And, believe me, looking up my symptoms in the past, I've made myself rule out dropsy, leprosy and pregnancy. 
  Stacks responded to my cri de coeur and drove down from Salford to make me visit a walk-in health centre.  On the way there, deciding that the end was on its way, I panicked myself into a crying jag.  
  The whack he gave me still stuns me, three months on.  I wasn't alone on Liverpool Street giving him a WTF stare. 
  'Right, Stacks, I'm cutting you from my book!' 
  He explained to both me and the concerned passersby, 'You moved your head and my cygnet ring caught...'  He gestured to the side of my eye. 'Shit.  Sorry, but I thought you were going to run into the road, mate.'
  I had to pinch the cut closed as we walked on, which made it difficult to give sufficiently outraged ports de bras for, 'Of course I wouldn't run into the road, Stacks.  The cars are going at six miles an hour.  I'd have at least got you to take me to the Whittington Hospital.  Then we could have walked round the corner for you to boost me over the spiked railings on the suicide bridge.'
  He half-smiled.  'Good.  Jokes are slowly starting up again.'

  Waiting in the walk-in centre, I talked about places I wanted to go before I died.
  'Iestyn, you're not going to die.'
  'Russia, obviously, finally. I want to do the Trans-Siberian Railway. Rome. Istanbul.  New York. India.'

  I got seen.  I needed tests.  Stacks pulled in favours and got me an appointment with a naval surgeon.  Odd to see him in a Hampshire consulting room, rather than a Crimean field tent. More tests, scans.  The upshot - not bowel cancer: a parasite in my lower gut.  What was described to me sounded like a tape worm with no sense of direction. I'd probably picked it up in the Seychelles.
  'But they sprayed the place every morning at 5am for bugs.'
  'The whole Seychelles?'
  'No, just the five star bit I was staying in.'

  Over dinner before he drove home, Stacks asked, 'Why haven't you travelled to those places you mentioned before?'
  'Because I wasn't dying before.'

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Mate Jamie-Ray Hartshorne

     I've been noticing that alongside photos of Jamie-Ray being a lead in Altar Boys , creating Change My Body UK TM , working the door at Freedom - and clearly asking people passing by wherever that rockpool may be to snap a double-bicep - this sort of thing is cropping up on his social media:   We're in The Diner, Jamestown Road, Camden.  He's between tour dates of  The Bodyguard,  and meetings to discuss sportswear and creatine endorsements.  The latter, he says, being all about making his product better.   Between sips of his peanut butter milkshake (he's allowing himself dairy today in my honour - I don't quite know how to take that) he says in his soft Brum, 'I've signed up for a major Muay Thai event in Thailand next February.  I'm going up against one of the Thai fighters.  That's the only real way to gain any respect in the fighting world.  That's why you've been noticing the combat photos.  I...

Psychic Readings

  As it's Summer Solstice, let's revisit my mother's lodge for a seance.  We know from a previous blog entry that lodge members are asked only to heal, and to have no truck with past lives and spirit guides.  See:   Previous blog featuring the lodge...   On the QT they have seances, at which the medium tunes in to great mysteries of the past.  Here are some of the readings.  I've taken out anything that explicitly reveals the subject of the reading.  Then we can play at guessing what it might be...      'There's something to do with a pile of tied up newspapers.  Was there an evening paper delivery?  They need to talk to the paper boy from back then as he saw something relevant but didn't understand at the time what it was he was seeing. There's also something to do with the plants by the front door.  The leaves of one of them were too dark to have been real.  Put there on purpose to deflect attention from ...

Me Featuring in The Sunday Times, Nicely...

  This happened. The editor thinks it's a book of dog sitter stories waiting to happen. I am scribbling away at same...  I first house-sat by accident. I was originally at Haven House, Lembton, as a live-in safety net for Lady Olive Simmonds, a seventy-nine year-old Bostonian with a lilac afro, a Temazepam habit and leg ulcers. Haven House was by the sea. Eighteenth century, elegant, comfortable.  But there was Olive... Always in pain; either drunk, hungover or both; barely educated. She had married a man who was knighted, and believed this gave her a licence to be a twat. According to Olive, her fellow Lembtonians were all dull academics - this group having reading ages older than hers, which was thirteen - or failed schizophrenics. She had serious monophobia, with staff working (unnecessarily) every day apart from weekends. At weekends, first thing, anxious, she would ring round the Lembtonians that were still speaking to her - six in number - inviting them for coffee, ...