Skip to main content

My Mother the Knitting Narcissist

                                                   

                                                               The bakers were on tenterhooks...


‘Right. It's time. Terry - put his blindfold on again...'



The following example of my mother's narcissism has stuck with me all these years - decades - because I was powerless. There could be no remedy. Nothing I could have done better. Nobody to reassure me. 
It may seem trivial - possibly comic - but it was nevertheless symptomatic of Eirwen's condition as a whole. 



So, here we go - Terry (my father) had put my blindfold on again, as instructed...


'Come into the bedroom, Iestyn,' Eirwen called. 'Right...keep your head still and shoulders down, tidy...' 

She slipped something over my upper body, then took off my blindfold. 'Stand up straight! Now, out you go again into the sitting room so everyone can see what I've made this year.’

This was the ceremony of the Christmas sweater. As ever, knit incognito. I was forbidden to look at what Eirwen was knitting all during Advent; and made to wear the blindfold during all fittings. 


In 1971, when I was six, Eirwen knitted the first ever (what she called) ‘virtually internationally beloved’ Christmas sweater. 

Acrylic. I was allergic to wool. 

The design was Noddy’s toadstool house. It was followed by Ivor the Engine, the Welsh flag, the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car, a ukulele, Smarties. Sobering down as I got older: drafts boards, Jenga bricks, until – 1983 - plain navy blue. 

Eirwen was possibly going through the menopause that year. 


'Everybody, here it is...'

I stepped out into our sitting for the Christmas Eve sweater reveal. There waiting to coo and applaud (or else), would be my Nan Ak and/or Nan Silcox, Welsh Lill, Big Lil, Little Lill, Wrong Way Round the Balcony Lill, Mrs Lingwood and Connie 'Practically Bedridden' Presland.

It was Eirwen's big moment, standing beside me in my sweater each Christmas Eve looking like Da Vinci with the Mona Lisa; God beside Adam; the feted Gregg's product developer beside the sausage, cheese and bean melt. 

Jane Austen collated family and friends' opinions on Mansfield Park - 

'W.B.L. – Highly pleased with Fanny Price - & a warm admirer of the Portsmouth Scene. – Angry with Edmund for not being in love with her, & hating Mrs. Norris for teasing her'...

Eirwen did the same for the sweaters. 

'Connie 'Practically Bedridden' Presland said, almost in tears, "You've done it again, Irene!". Welsh Lill said she could almost hear the ukulele being plucked. Mrs Lingwood said my pearl stitches in the toadstool house roof were out of this world.'


In a plastic sack in the bottom of Eirwen's wardrobe are pairs of photographs. In the first of the pair, taken each Christmas Eve, I’m wearing that year’s sweater. In the second, taken in April, I’m again wearing the sweater and holding its matching birthday cake.  

Eirwen went by bus to Victoria to have these cakes made. 'Special. The bakers have come to be on tenterhooks as to what design I might think up in any particular year.' 

The year I was eight Eirwen would so over-shout me into tilting the cake to capture its best angle for her photograph, I dropped Ivor the Engine.  

She dislodged the handle from my toy broom and thrashed me. 



Fast forward through decades to a little after 8pm on May 27th 1984. Eirwen began ringing around her six sisters-in-law, the front desk of the Waterloo Action Centre, Inner Brother Iris from the White Eagle Lodge, the Wool Ply Advisory Bureau and ITV news.

I may possibly have invented those last two.

‘I just thought I would inform you,' Eirwen said, in a hollow voice, 'that after twenty odd years of it, I’ve tonight decided it’s once and for all been a fair whack. Yes, I know it will have come as quite a shock to you. But I am, yes, forthwith formally retiring from my knitting.’  


A knitting narcissist's take if ever there was one on Dame Nellie Melba's retirement speech from the stage of Covent Garden. 'A fond farewell to all my greatnesses...'



Though I doubt Dame Nellie ever went onstage as Mimi wearing a four-ply, crocheted slip stitched in the neck, raglan sleeved Jaws poster.



#narcissist#narcissism#abuse#childhood#childhoodabuse#humour#selfhelp#psychology#speaker#talks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mate Jamie-Ray Hartshorne

     I've been noticing that alongside photos of Jamie-Ray being a lead in Altar Boys , creating Change My Body UK TM , working the door at Freedom - and clearly asking people passing by wherever that rockpool may be to snap a double-bicep - this sort of thing is cropping up on his social media:   We're in The Diner, Jamestown Road, Camden.  He's between tour dates of  The Bodyguard,  and meetings to discuss sportswear and creatine endorsements.  The latter, he says, being all about making his product better.   Between sips of his peanut butter milkshake (he's allowing himself dairy today in my honour - I don't quite know how to take that) he says in his soft Brum, 'I've signed up for a major Muay Thai event in Thailand next February.  I'm going up against one of the Thai fighters.  That's the only real way to gain any respect in the fighting world.  That's why you've been noticing the combat photos.  I...

Psychic Readings

  As it's Summer Solstice, let's revisit my mother's lodge for a seance.  We know from a previous blog entry that lodge members are asked only to heal, and to have no truck with past lives and spirit guides.  See:   Previous blog featuring the lodge...   On the QT they have seances, at which the medium tunes in to great mysteries of the past.  Here are some of the readings.  I've taken out anything that explicitly reveals the subject of the reading.  Then we can play at guessing what it might be...      'There's something to do with a pile of tied up newspapers.  Was there an evening paper delivery?  They need to talk to the paper boy from back then as he saw something relevant but didn't understand at the time what it was he was seeing. There's also something to do with the plants by the front door.  The leaves of one of them were too dark to have been real.  Put there on purpose to deflect attention from ...

More Stuff I've Overheard

'Famous actors don't need to dress like famous actors. Apart from Simon Callow always seems to.' 'She smells like she hasn't actually had that winter coat out as much as needed.' 'Christopher, you can't possibly know that Sea Salt won't have a man's fragrance.' 'None of us on the till thought it was possible to override the take away drinks machine and do an oat milk hot chocolate. But Little Mary went on a mission. Sally and Big Mary were looking on, to see how Little Mary managed it. I stayed out of the way - didn't want any part, sorry. Took ever so long. Janice buttered at least three crusty rolls in the meantime.  'When she handed the drink over Little Mary asked the customer if it was okay - it being a bit of a freak beverage - and he said it wasn't as hot as it could be, but that meant it wouldn't over-melt the marshmallow on his Easter Bunny biscuit, would it?  'Mary said, "All's well that ends well, t...