Skip to main content

Kitty Brownlow's Cure for Homophobia




  I had to tell my old Etonian friend, Oli, to delete his comment of 'gay' from the above Facebook photo.  'Try and remember that you're evolved,' I messaged him.  Which reminded me of summers in Aldeburgh when Kitty Brownlow would send homophobic pig farmers to talk to me in the Cross Keyes.  

   Jeremy was in his early twenties. His complexion was not so much peaches and cream as pork and red porridge.  He was wearing a tweed jacket with suede elbow-patches.  I suspected that he would be at agricultural college, and not studying anything so interesting as the cultivation of garlic according to the cycles of the moon, either.  No, there was a definite whiff of the field drainage system about him.  Almost the first drawl out of his mouth was the nugget that there had been a gay bloke at his school.  
  I looked round a pillar at Kitty sitting on a settle smiling at me; half encouragingly, half maliciously.  
  ‘There was a gay bloke, you see, at my school,’ Jeremy repeated. 
  'Where were you at school?’
  ‘Eton.’
  ‘Just the one gay?  How were the statistics exam results there?'
  ‘Do you think being gay is biological?’
  ‘No, that’s washing powder.’
  I slapped my thigh.  He looked worried, as though this may be some obscure mating ritual. 
  ‘Joke,’ I explained.
  ‘So, are we saying that it is or it isn’t biological?’
  ‘Isn’t.’
  ‘Then is it hereditary?’
  ‘Who from?’ I answered.  ‘I’d either not be here at all or I’d be a lesbian.’
  ‘Do your parents know about you?’ he asked.
  ‘Oh, what - big baby like I was?  Fat is definitely hereditary in my family.  My mother was fully aware of giving birth.  Before she was even a quarter dilated she was demanding a Caesarean.  The midwife had to explain that there wouldn't be a sufficient number of sutures in the whole Kensington and Chelsea nursing district for that.  They gave her such a cocktail of drugs to get her through she still has episodes when she thinks she's Sigrid the Haughty, Queen of Denmark. She pillaged the Kohkaycomest Spiritualist Lodge the Christmas before last off her trolley on Warninks Advocaat.  And there was more than enough room for the fifty division Welsh Guards to take part in her postnatal pelvic floor exercises.'  
  He was looking distracted.  ‘Do they mind,’ he asked?  
  ‘Who, the Welsh Guards?’ 
  ‘Your parents?’ 
  ‘Mind?’ I said, ‘mind? They ran it for all it was worth.  There’s an old joke, way before your time: Mum, the milkman's here - have you got the money to pay him or shall I go out and play? After I hit puberty, it was my parents who went out. And it wasn't just the milkman 'collecting'. I had 'dealings' with the insurance man, double-glazing salesmen, rag-and-bone men, Red Cross, scouts on bob-a-job, Meals on Wheels (meant for Big Lill three doors down) and we must have been the only household ever that had to pay for The Watchtower.'  
  ‘Another little joke, right?’
  ‘One of my stage routines, yes, I have to admit. This is really making you uncomfortable, though, isn't it?  You've been looking aghast for the last little while.'  
 'Not...' he was staring.
 'You did ask, you know.  And I’ve not gone down the expected route of discussing bum-proclivities or anything.’
  He was still staring.  
  ‘What?’ I prompted. 
  ‘It’s...it’s..’
  ‘Well?’
  'I don't want...'
  'Just say it.'
  ‘Your shirt's nylon, you're wearing white man-made moccasins and you have no concept whatsoever of final consonants.  My discomfiture's nothing at all to do with your being a bender of whatever - It’s the whole as-if notion that you could ever have been born in Kensington.'  
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mate Jamie-Ray Hartshorne

     I've been noticing that alongside photos of Jamie-Ray being a lead in Altar Boys , creating Change My Body UK TM , working the door at Freedom - and clearly asking people passing by wherever that rockpool may be to snap a double-bicep - this sort of thing is cropping up on his social media:   We're in The Diner, Jamestown Road, Camden.  He's between tour dates of  The Bodyguard,  and meetings to discuss sportswear and creatine endorsements.  The latter, he says, being all about making his product better.   Between sips of his peanut butter milkshake (he's allowing himself dairy today in my honour - I don't quite know how to take that) he says in his soft Brum, 'I've signed up for a major Muay Thai event in Thailand next February.  I'm going up against one of the Thai fighters.  That's the only real way to gain any respect in the fighting world.  That's why you've been noticing the combat photos.  I...

Psychic Readings

  As it's Summer Solstice, let's revisit my mother's lodge for a seance.  We know from a previous blog entry that lodge members are asked only to heal, and to have no truck with past lives and spirit guides.  See:   Previous blog featuring the lodge...   On the QT they have seances, at which the medium tunes in to great mysteries of the past.  Here are some of the readings.  I've taken out anything that explicitly reveals the subject of the reading.  Then we can play at guessing what it might be...      'There's something to do with a pile of tied up newspapers.  Was there an evening paper delivery?  They need to talk to the paper boy from back then as he saw something relevant but didn't understand at the time what it was he was seeing. There's also something to do with the plants by the front door.  The leaves of one of them were too dark to have been real.  Put there on purpose to deflect attention from ...

More Stuff I've Overheard

'Famous actors don't need to dress like famous actors. Apart from Simon Callow always seems to.' 'She smells like she hasn't actually had that winter coat out as much as needed.' 'Christopher, you can't possibly know that Sea Salt won't have a man's fragrance.' 'None of us on the till thought it was possible to override the take away drinks machine and do an oat milk hot chocolate. But Little Mary went on a mission. Sally and Big Mary were looking on, to see how Little Mary managed it. I stayed out of the way - didn't want any part, sorry. Took ever so long. Janice buttered at least three crusty rolls in the meantime.  'When she handed the drink over Little Mary asked the customer if it was okay - it being a bit of a freak beverage - and he said it wasn't as hot as it could be, but that meant it wouldn't over-melt the marshmallow on his Easter Bunny biscuit, would it?  'Mary said, "All's well that ends well, t...