Skip to main content

Boys and their Toys

  I first performed Swan Lake as Madame Galina Ballet Star Galactica for my college Rag Week Revue.  Then I was asked to leave the course.  The principal said that my voice was failing to show any signs of bloom in the sound; probably because, though I was meant to be at Guildhall studying classical singing, I was too often to be found instead preening imaginary chest feathers in the Lauderdale Refectory, crying lakes of tears down the Student Union window or pirouetting around the German Song Laboratory.  I had to go.

                                            
                                                                            Wistful at the SU window

  Bass Matt Davies and I were sitting on the singers' benches under the boards listing Guildhall Gold Medal Winners.  
  'Jane Goodman should have been thrown out long, long before me,' I said.  'She never sings anything developed.  I sang Brahms this term.  All her early music shit.  Nymphs and Shepherds Fuck Right off, Fuck Right off...'
  'She's amazing in the early stuff,' Matt said.  'And you sounded like a menopausal cow in your Brahms, we discussed this.  But what exactly do you mean by developed'?'
  'She should sing some Massenet.'  I was obsessed just then with Maria Callas singing "Pleurez Mes Yeux" from Massenet's Le Cid. 
  'Massenet?'  Matt laughed. 'Are you mental?  By developed you just mean later chronologically, right?' 
  I supposed I did.  'Progress,' I threw in.
  Matt was shaking his head.  'Bach was composing before Mozart or Beethoven, but you wouldn't say their music was more developed just because it came later, would  you?  Chaucer was writing earlier than Betjeman; Shakespeare earlier than Coward.  And moving the metaphor: hoovers - later in the vacuuming oeuvre can be a definite no-no.'
  'How?'
  Well, he explained, there we were, pre-nineties, pissed on cheap brown sherry from the back of the parents' drinks cabinet, Speedos worn specially at half-mast, randily packing raw liver into the pipe of the old pull-along Henry for a bit of wanky-sucky-fun...


                               
                                          'Ooh, we're having calf liver today, are we, big boy?'

  'But now later - or developed, to follow your line of thinking, Iestyn - what has progress put on the market?  The Dyson. So much as look at the on and off switch of one of those pull-alongs and there'll be your pecker - never mind the liver - surfing through the sluts' wool, bottle-tops and matchsticks in the turbo drum. Progress isn't always progress, Iestyn.'


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mate Jamie-Ray Hartshorne

     I've been noticing that alongside photos of Jamie-Ray being a lead in Altar Boys , creating Change My Body UK TM , working the door at Freedom - and clearly asking people passing by wherever that rockpool may be to snap a double-bicep - this sort of thing is cropping up on his social media:   We're in The Diner, Jamestown Road, Camden.  He's between tour dates of  The Bodyguard,  and meetings to discuss sportswear and creatine endorsements.  The latter, he says, being all about making his product better.   Between sips of his peanut butter milkshake (he's allowing himself dairy today in my honour - I don't quite know how to take that) he says in his soft Brum, 'I've signed up for a major Muay Thai event in Thailand next February.  I'm going up against one of the Thai fighters.  That's the only real way to gain any respect in the fighting world.  That's why you've been noticing the combat photos.  I...

Psychic Readings

  As it's Summer Solstice, let's revisit my mother's lodge for a seance.  We know from a previous blog entry that lodge members are asked only to heal, and to have no truck with past lives and spirit guides.  See:   Previous blog featuring the lodge...   On the QT they have seances, at which the medium tunes in to great mysteries of the past.  Here are some of the readings.  I've taken out anything that explicitly reveals the subject of the reading.  Then we can play at guessing what it might be...      'There's something to do with a pile of tied up newspapers.  Was there an evening paper delivery?  They need to talk to the paper boy from back then as he saw something relevant but didn't understand at the time what it was he was seeing. There's also something to do with the plants by the front door.  The leaves of one of them were too dark to have been real.  Put there on purpose to deflect attention from ...

More Stuff I've Overheard

'Famous actors don't need to dress like famous actors. Apart from Simon Callow always seems to.' 'She smells like she hasn't actually had that winter coat out as much as needed.' 'Christopher, you can't possibly know that Sea Salt won't have a man's fragrance.' 'None of us on the till thought it was possible to override the take away drinks machine and do an oat milk hot chocolate. But Little Mary went on a mission. Sally and Big Mary were looking on, to see how Little Mary managed it. I stayed out of the way - didn't want any part, sorry. Took ever so long. Janice buttered at least three crusty rolls in the meantime.  'When she handed the drink over Little Mary asked the customer if it was okay - it being a bit of a freak beverage - and he said it wasn't as hot as it could be, but that meant it wouldn't over-melt the marshmallow on his Easter Bunny biscuit, would it?  'Mary said, "All's well that ends well, t...