Skip to main content

Move Back to Brighton 5

I have sinusitis and a bit of wheeziness. Before my cacao in matcha latte oat milk I tilt myself forward and backward and then roll from the waist to dislodge phlegm. 

As a toddler, when I was recovering from the fatal strain of croup, Doctor Halfpenny...I don’t know what he would be called these days factoring in inflation: Doctor Twenty-Six Pounds Seventy-five, maybe? Anyway, to shift phlegm he recommended Eirwen and Terry play the Fishy in the Water game.* One or other of them would sit me facing them on their lap, then tilt me backwards so my head was just off the floor and sing, ‘Fishy in the Water/Fishy in the Sea/Who Do You Like Best/The fishes or me?’ 

And to be lifted upright again I’d have to reply, ‘You’.

I gave them such a complex...

‘Fishes.’ 

‘Fishes.’ 

‘Fishes.’ 

By the time we went back for my check up with Doctor Twenty-Six Pounds Seventy-five again I’d effectively renamed his game, ‘Don't ask the question if you can't handle the answer, bitches.'

Eirwen (ego) would forego playing and instead rope in others. The Avon, lady, insurance rep, rag and bone man. He smelled of Brasso. 

Mrs Lingwood was too scrawny, Tom Delaney just that tad too known for sure about paedophile – but anyone else was fair game. 

I’d seen Eirwen and Terry at their fore-fore-play. She would sit knitting. He would lie on the sofa leering across at her. Once he commented he could see something winking at him from beneath her housecoat. She went over and sat on his lap, squirming while his head bobbed like a turkey's as he stared goggle-eyed down her front.

That looked fun. 

Terry had a roadie called Big Al. I got him to play 'Fishy in the Water' with me and held him off tilting me downward - I asked child questions, natch - while I squirmed in his lap like I had worms. 

His muscles, you see. He was big and strong and capable. He could rescue me. Like the catcher in the Flying Zippos trapeze act in the circus I saw in Battersea Park when I was seven. He was hairily topless in lycra with lurex wellies. 

He could still rescue me any time he felt like swinging by. 

I'm not into any of the Marvel heroes. Their use of lycra is far too performative. 

I’m more a spit and sawdust cosplay queen.

Sometimes – kinky bitch mode activated - I forego the rescue element factor and just watch gimp-masked Stevie from Gravesend on PornHub coming hands free braced on the crossbar of his Pon Holdings Roadmaster.


I won't tell Flixy I have a congested chest. She'll no doubt have been Emily Bronte dying from consumption on the parsonage sofa refusing to see a doctor till it was too late.  



* I always called my parents Eirwen and Terry; mum and dad sounding too affectionate.



#diary #memoir #brighton #brightonandhove #lgbtqia #porn #pornhub #childhood 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Featuring in The Sunday Times, Nicely...

  This happened. The editor thinks it's a book of dog sitter stories waiting to happen. I am scribbling away at same...  I first house-sat by accident. I was originally at Haven House, Lembton, as a live-in safety net for Lady Olive Simmonds, a seventy-nine year-old Bostonian with a lilac afro, a Temazepam habit and leg ulcers. Haven House was by the sea. Eighteenth century, elegant, comfortable.  But there was Olive... Always in pain; either drunk, hungover or both; barely educated. She had married a man who was knighted, and believed this gave her a licence to be a twat. According to Olive, her fellow Lembtonians were all dull academics - this group having reading ages older than hers, which was thirteen - or failed schizophrenics. She had serious monophobia, with staff working (unnecessarily) every day apart from weekends. At weekends, first thing, anxious, she would ring round the Lembtonians that were still speaking to her - six in number - inviting them for coffee, ...

In The Times again...

   

The Marine Says I Must Re-queer...

                                                                 Being camp in Camp Basra... Stacks, ex-Royal Marines Commando, recently watched my Tutu Went AWOL! show on Zoom. He had notes. I was shifting from foot to foot, he said, and gesturing too much. 'And you must put back the stuff about the Brigadier and your fellow comedian being homophobic...' The Brigadier had been sneering about my act, saying it would be more suited to Butlins. But, more importantly, he believed I was an 'inappropriate influence on 42 Commando'.  Stacks, deadpan, commented, 'Sir, before Iestyn started hanging out with us, sir, it had never occurred to him to play Tiddlywinks with anything other than his thumb, sir.'  My fellow comedian, who I'll call Mark, because that's his name, asked Reg, Garrison Sergeant Major, in front of ...