Skip to main content

Driving Miss Crazy




  At my first driving lesson back from panto season, I moved off in third gear. 

  I was having the usual back and forth with Shahzad, my instructor - who, to this day, is on Beta Blockers. 

 'We've discussed this, Shahzad: you always miss me checking the blind spot on that side, so we take it as read that I did check it.'  

  Or: 

  'You can say there's nobody in that white Volvo all you like, but I'm telling you it isn't adequately stationary for use in my parallel parking extravaganza.' 
 
 And:

  'Who yet again moved the fucking kerb?'

  When I moved off in third, Shahzad became more than usually adenoidal. 'Where have you got that from?' 
  'My Marine mate, Stacks,' I said. 
  'And what else did this army guy teach you, just so I'm prepared?'
  'Royal Marine. As he's officially a master-driver he knows the tricks of the examiner's trade. He said never to park where they tell you to first time...'

  Stacks advised, 'You'll be able to park okay - adrenaline - but won't be able to safely pull out again. It's a trap.  You'll be too near a turning, other cars, emergency access, etc.  Similarly, when you're asked to pull up when it's safe and convenient to do so, it won't be.'

  As I told the examiner: 'Don't hold your breath about my stopping, love: there's a school crossing, a hill, a staggered junction, a blind corner, hazardous waste, an overfull ford, mobile library stop off, suspected grave of Lord Lucan, rutting stags, Jemima the doll from Playschool - plus I'm scared to stop the car in this part of Barnet.'

  Shahzad asked if my master-driver buddy had said anything about how I'd been taught so far. 
  'He says I'm not as Miss Crazy Driving as he'd thought I would be.  I'm calm and in control and have the basics. He does think you allow me too much shouting and swearing. He's really hoping I'll get my licence, if only to to stop me getting arrested in Iraq.'

  I was entertaining troops in Um Qasr, Iraq, when the Military Police asked for ID.  My fellow turns showed a driver's licence or passport.  My passport was back at the overspill tent hidden beneath my spare tutu, and I didn't have a driver's licence. I tried my Camden Library card on them.
  Stacks raised his eyes to Allah and pointed to me in the tutu on the comedy show poster. 'I can vouch for him being yon tiddle-iddle-thudder in the frock of many doilies.'
  Which still might not convince them, I thought.  So, I applied lipstick.  
  'Wrong shade,' said Stacks. 




  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mate Jamie-Ray Hartshorne

     I've been noticing that alongside photos of Jamie-Ray being a lead in Altar Boys , creating Change My Body UK TM , working the door at Freedom - and clearly asking people passing by wherever that rockpool may be to snap a double-bicep - this sort of thing is cropping up on his social media:   We're in The Diner, Jamestown Road, Camden.  He's between tour dates of  The Bodyguard,  and meetings to discuss sportswear and creatine endorsements.  The latter, he says, being all about making his product better.   Between sips of his peanut butter milkshake (he's allowing himself dairy today in my honour - I don't quite know how to take that) he says in his soft Brum, 'I've signed up for a major Muay Thai event in Thailand next February.  I'm going up against one of the Thai fighters.  That's the only real way to gain any respect in the fighting world.  That's why you've been noticing the combat photos.  I...

Psychic Readings

  As it's Summer Solstice, let's revisit my mother's lodge for a seance.  We know from a previous blog entry that lodge members are asked only to heal, and to have no truck with past lives and spirit guides.  See:   Previous blog featuring the lodge...   On the QT they have seances, at which the medium tunes in to great mysteries of the past.  Here are some of the readings.  I've taken out anything that explicitly reveals the subject of the reading.  Then we can play at guessing what it might be...      'There's something to do with a pile of tied up newspapers.  Was there an evening paper delivery?  They need to talk to the paper boy from back then as he saw something relevant but didn't understand at the time what it was he was seeing. There's also something to do with the plants by the front door.  The leaves of one of them were too dark to have been real.  Put there on purpose to deflect attention from ...

More Stuff I've Overheard

'Famous actors don't need to dress like famous actors. Apart from Simon Callow always seems to.' 'She smells like she hasn't actually had that winter coat out as much as needed.' 'Christopher, you can't possibly know that Sea Salt won't have a man's fragrance.' 'None of us on the till thought it was possible to override the take away drinks machine and do an oat milk hot chocolate. But Little Mary went on a mission. Sally and Big Mary were looking on, to see how Little Mary managed it. I stayed out of the way - didn't want any part, sorry. Took ever so long. Janice buttered at least three crusty rolls in the meantime.  'When she handed the drink over Little Mary asked the customer if it was okay - it being a bit of a freak beverage - and he said it wasn't as hot as it could be, but that meant it wouldn't over-melt the marshmallow on his Easter Bunny biscuit, would it?  'Mary said, "All's well that ends well, t...