Skip to main content

My Work is Dog-Friendly



  Click to watch "The Old Sow Song' on nicely Youtube

  What did Lady Carter, late of Priors Hill Road, Aldeburgh, think were clear illustrations of moral degeneracy?  
  Libraries open on Sundays, train toilets that can be flushed at stations, the scrapping of The Royal Tournament. 
  Oh, and Harrods. 
  She also campaigned for the removal of the skating halfpipe from Kings Field - 'The dongs and clangs that come from it are an infernal parody of church bells!' - for the reinstatement of public executions on the greensward and for the surgery to go back to using pen and ink for medical records. 

  One thing about using pen and ink is that you can't cack-handedly CC in people where you shouldn't as you so easily can using email. When I do something particularly daft, producer and great mucker Delores Deluxe will put her head on one side and say, in brisk, corporate tones: 'Right, right, and let's just CC in Barney Jeavons...' referring to the time when I forgot that Matt was in an email thread and apologised to a critic who had just reviewed my show for Barney's onstage drunkenness, cuntiness and tiny penisness. 

   But that is as nothing to what I did recently during my double bill My Tutu's Gone AWOL! 

  Crossing the foyer to the gents at halftime I caught Susanna leaving the venue. 
  'Oh, no,' she wailed. 'Not that I don't like you.  But I must get back to my dog. I have -'
  'If you live near enough, bring your dog back for the second half,' I said.  'I've been performing at Metrodeco in Brighton recently, that's a dog friendly venue.  So I'm used to it. What's he called?'
  'Otis. But I don't know what the committee would say or anything, and - '
  'Committee-shmommittee, Susanna. It's my show.  And I say you can bring Otis into it.'
  She thought for a second or so.  'If you're sure? He'd be no trouble, considering what he's trained for.'
  'There we are then.  And I can use him as a diving off point for the Metrodeco with the nuns watching through the window material, sing Miss Otis Regrets - all extra nicely bonus points.'

  Walking on for the second half, I said, 
  'I'm sure you've already noticed, ladies and gentlemen, that I rival pure violet light for taking up space on the spectrum, so Susanna, thank her, has brought my much needed Emotional Support Dog in for the second half.'  
  No real laugh there - of course, they may not have watched all those fascinating cases involving Emotional Dog Support Dogs on Judge Judy that I had, so would have no point of reference. I pushed on.  
  'Otis will know what to do if I start believing I'm Anne Boleyn trying to buy one six-fingered glove off Ebay. Or start rooting around for the defunct Green Shield Stamps from the cupboard under the stairs to use as postage for the invitations when I marry Luke Hemsworth. Or when I speed-dial the Archbishop of Canterbury at all hours again, convinced the two red lights on the immersion heater are actually the eyes of Satan staring out at me from among the folded-inside-out-to-stop-them-getting-marked pillow cases, and I need the Most Reverend and Right Honourable Justin, please, to come and nicely exorcise the airing cupboard.'
  Still no real laugh; I went into a chorus of "The Old Sow Song":

  The was an old farmer who had an old sow - except Otis is a retriever, I pointed out
  (grunt) ow (whistle) ow (PFTHTTT) idle-e-dow
  Susanna's a funicle man

  And went on with the show - noticing a sagging quality to the listening. 

   This would have been because, as I found out afterward, Otis is actually Susanna's Emotional Support Dog. And Susanna has episodes. 
  She's perhaps having one now, remembering. 


  
  
  
  
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mate Jamie-Ray Hartshorne

     I've been noticing that alongside photos of Jamie-Ray being a lead in Altar Boys , creating Change My Body UK TM , working the door at Freedom - and clearly asking people passing by wherever that rockpool may be to snap a double-bicep - this sort of thing is cropping up on his social media:   We're in The Diner, Jamestown Road, Camden.  He's between tour dates of  The Bodyguard,  and meetings to discuss sportswear and creatine endorsements.  The latter, he says, being all about making his product better.   Between sips of his peanut butter milkshake (he's allowing himself dairy today in my honour - I don't quite know how to take that) he says in his soft Brum, 'I've signed up for a major Muay Thai event in Thailand next February.  I'm going up against one of the Thai fighters.  That's the only real way to gain any respect in the fighting world.  That's why you've been noticing the combat photos.  I...

Psychic Readings

  As it's Summer Solstice, let's revisit my mother's lodge for a seance.  We know from a previous blog entry that lodge members are asked only to heal, and to have no truck with past lives and spirit guides.  See:   Previous blog featuring the lodge...   On the QT they have seances, at which the medium tunes in to great mysteries of the past.  Here are some of the readings.  I've taken out anything that explicitly reveals the subject of the reading.  Then we can play at guessing what it might be...      'There's something to do with a pile of tied up newspapers.  Was there an evening paper delivery?  They need to talk to the paper boy from back then as he saw something relevant but didn't understand at the time what it was he was seeing. There's also something to do with the plants by the front door.  The leaves of one of them were too dark to have been real.  Put there on purpose to deflect attention from ...

More Stuff I've Overheard

'Famous actors don't need to dress like famous actors. Apart from Simon Callow always seems to.' 'She smells like she hasn't actually had that winter coat out as much as needed.' 'Christopher, you can't possibly know that Sea Salt won't have a man's fragrance.' 'None of us on the till thought it was possible to override the take away drinks machine and do an oat milk hot chocolate. But Little Mary went on a mission. Sally and Big Mary were looking on, to see how Little Mary managed it. I stayed out of the way - didn't want any part, sorry. Took ever so long. Janice buttered at least three crusty rolls in the meantime.  'When she handed the drink over Little Mary asked the customer if it was okay - it being a bit of a freak beverage - and he said it wasn't as hot as it could be, but that meant it wouldn't over-melt the marshmallow on his Easter Bunny biscuit, would it?  'Mary said, "All's well that ends well, t...