Skip to main content

A Joseph Campbell Teaching

 



Joseph Campbell - author of The Masks of God, The Hero with a Thousand Faces, Myths to Live by - asked his followers, 'What did you do as a child that made you forget time? There lies the myth to live by.'


I'm on a mission - sixty next birthday, my Second Saturn Return in the offing, never been truly happy.

I'm overhauling my mindset.

(Someone needs to make the cake for my sixtieth, please, I'm swamped.)

Anyway, re my mindset. First, I quiet my mind with the following grounding technique. Always useful, I find. Let me know in the comments if it's useful to you. We're all in this together, after all.

Find five things to look at, meanwhile naming them. Then four things you can hear, three you can touch, two you can smell, one you can taste. I do this grounding technique in tandem with my ten thousand steps. Having no clue what breed of tree I'm looking at ever, I tend to name them, a 'Lacks the last degree of festive vibe to be a holly' tree; or a 'Could easily be in Robin Hood film' tree; or the 'Not up to very much, frankly, could do better' tree. I've heard a lot of crows, diesel engines, bird noise and bike bells warning me I'm walking on the wrong side of the pavement again. I've touched my sleeve, gorse, and the railings above basement areas. I've sniffed at my sleeve and at daffodils. And I supplement my diet with cherry blossom, evergreen leaves and the lickings from a GR pillar box.


I continue on with breathing. Inhale for four slow counts, hold for two, exhale for six. This stimulates the vagus nerve. While I'm counting, I massage my earlobes - which also stimulates the vagus nerve.


Next I speak affirmations aloud. 

'All shall be well, all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.' Julian of Norwich. Appropriate, as I'm currently living in Norwich.

'I trust…I trust…I trust…'

'All is well. Everything is working out for my highest good. Out of this situation only good will come. I am safe.' Louise Hay.


The above constitutes my first step on this journey to a happier life. I have lot to rewire. To answer Joseph Campbell - what I did as a child to lose any sense of time was: I sang "Doll on a Music Box" - Truly Scrumptious' number from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. With all the actions. I see this as being the possible forerunner to my character comedy creation, Madame Galina Ballet Star Galactica: a hugely positive force in my life.

However, less positive would have been the hours I spent as a child playing submarine disasters in the downstairs area with Robert and Michael Martin from next door.

There are some life-coaches-cum-wannabe-psychologists out there who say I could simply uproot this memory and instead make believe I played other games with Robert and Michael.

Nah.


Actually, second thought…

Given the splashing/thrashing about in water aspect of the game, I could reimagine myself as champion swimmer turned Hollywood star Esther Williams. Robert and Michael could be Red Skelton and Ricardo Montalban. All appearing in the 1949 rom-com Neptune's Daughter.

For all sorts of reasons a better choice, I'd say, than Dangerous When Wet.


In fine, I say let's all recreate ourselves in more positive images.

What have we to lose? 

Other than (in my case specifically) a panicked inability to breach the surface and open that escape hatch.



#josephcampbell#heroesjourney#mindset#mind#positivity#change#childhood#josephcampbellquotes#publicspeaker#afterdinnerspeaker#talks 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mate Jamie-Ray Hartshorne

     I've been noticing that alongside photos of Jamie-Ray being a lead in Altar Boys , creating Change My Body UK TM , working the door at Freedom - and clearly asking people passing by wherever that rockpool may be to snap a double-bicep - this sort of thing is cropping up on his social media:   We're in The Diner, Jamestown Road, Camden.  He's between tour dates of  The Bodyguard,  and meetings to discuss sportswear and creatine endorsements.  The latter, he says, being all about making his product better.   Between sips of his peanut butter milkshake (he's allowing himself dairy today in my honour - I don't quite know how to take that) he says in his soft Brum, 'I've signed up for a major Muay Thai event in Thailand next February.  I'm going up against one of the Thai fighters.  That's the only real way to gain any respect in the fighting world.  That's why you've been noticing the combat photos.  I...

Psychic Readings

  As it's Summer Solstice, let's revisit my mother's lodge for a seance.  We know from a previous blog entry that lodge members are asked only to heal, and to have no truck with past lives and spirit guides.  See:   Previous blog featuring the lodge...   On the QT they have seances, at which the medium tunes in to great mysteries of the past.  Here are some of the readings.  I've taken out anything that explicitly reveals the subject of the reading.  Then we can play at guessing what it might be...      'There's something to do with a pile of tied up newspapers.  Was there an evening paper delivery?  They need to talk to the paper boy from back then as he saw something relevant but didn't understand at the time what it was he was seeing. There's also something to do with the plants by the front door.  The leaves of one of them were too dark to have been real.  Put there on purpose to deflect attention from ...

More Stuff I've Overheard

'Famous actors don't need to dress like famous actors. Apart from Simon Callow always seems to.' 'She smells like she hasn't actually had that winter coat out as much as needed.' 'Christopher, you can't possibly know that Sea Salt won't have a man's fragrance.' 'None of us on the till thought it was possible to override the take away drinks machine and do an oat milk hot chocolate. But Little Mary went on a mission. Sally and Big Mary were looking on, to see how Little Mary managed it. I stayed out of the way - didn't want any part, sorry. Took ever so long. Janice buttered at least three crusty rolls in the meantime.  'When she handed the drink over Little Mary asked the customer if it was okay - it being a bit of a freak beverage - and he said it wasn't as hot as it could be, but that meant it wouldn't over-melt the marshmallow on his Easter Bunny biscuit, would it?  'Mary said, "All's well that ends well, t...