Skip to main content

What I heard on a Bench in Saffron Walden Market Square


'I began as a Lucy Clayton girl.' The woman was in her eighties, sharply dressed, hair in a sixties style. 'Deportment. That slight swivel walk. Getting in and out of cars. What blank expression to wear while a man lit your cigarette. How to eat your first mussel with a fork, and all subsequent mussels with the shell of that first one. Riveting and fully essential. You probably can’t believe I went in for modelling.' No, I assured her, I fully did. 'My jaw really only does this nutcracker business because I get such bad depression.

‘I did shop modelling at Fortnum's. Also, Fenwick's. Oh - now, then - also later on at the Co-Op. Their slogan being: Shop at the Co-Op and be Happy. I had to provide the clothes for that one. That didn’t make me happy. The canteen at Fortnum's was a cut above. We all loved it, our four-girl runway show. One of the four, Chrissie, was a bridesmaid at my wedding. In the order of service was a photo of my husband at twelve leading six-year-old me on a pony.

‘I had a too small head for most of the hats; they would fall down. Though I wasn't otherwise the twig or shrimp...you know? My best friend Felicity was. From Paris. Five foot nine, the lucky cow. And so skinny. I remember her bringing me the most superior chocolate cake. Jesus and the Devil in the wilderness weren't in it. And I remember a Duchess who always asked, “Which of anything I'm seeing might be pure silk?” This was after rationing stopped and there was a bit of a brawn-boom. The Duchess had convinced herself being draped in layers would slim her down again. Perhaps the shop powers that be could have helped by not sending up all the gorgeous treats during the shows. That Duchess was quite a shoveller-downer. And short.

‘I got tutted at in Moscow by babushkas for my miniskirts. And we weren't allowed to wear sunglasses as the Soviets didn't think they constituted pure modelling. We'd have ten thousand at a British Clothing Association show there, clapping and throwing roses at the end of each tableau.

‘Then Beirut. All these huge Cadillacs. And fireworks at the end of the shows. Too many in the audience so they put seating on the stage last minute. And, shunting myself too far back, I got trapped behind the curtains. Brian Redman, male model, gorgeous and very polite - Conservative - was my stage partner on those tours. I could hear him going 'psst...psst...' in the dark as “The Blue Danube” started. He was only just in time finding me for the usual - boy lead girl to front, turn right, then back.

‘In Beirut, we were back doing the bikini section, dropped in Russia so as not to offend the babushkas. Well, you couldn't imagine any of them frolicking in the surf. One girl - Suki - showed herself up asking must we take care not to jiggle in our bikinis, as it was a Moslem country? She’d found out Moslem women mustn’t let anything jiggle under the hijab in front of anyone other than their husbands. Which must really require some forethought.

‘Suki had done the plastique palaver at Murray's. A club in St John’s Square, WC1, where Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice-Davies performed. They were allowed to be naked doing the plastique but must keep absolutely still. The management used to open the door backstage to the street for the draft, or let mice loose.

‘I did some TV adverts. Ryking. Sherry. Tea. Cigarettes. The male model who was meant to offer me a cigarette as we loitered in Trafalgar Square couldn't lever it out of the pack first time. He had to loosen them. But then you could see in close up the supposedly new pack - which it must be: to show the consumer experience - had been infiltrated. We went back and forth trying to get this to look right. No chance, of course, the woman might have cigarettes of her own.

‘Going shopping, in another advert, crossing the Seine to one of the big stores, with two little buggers as my children, running ahead and keeping running, I couldn't call them back, no useful French.

‘Oh, and get me - on the train on the way back I sat and chatted to the most gorgeous woman imaginable. French, but with excellent English. We discussed our pets, washing smalls in hotel bathrooms and funeral hats. I'll never forget. She was Brigitte Bardot.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mate Jamie-Ray Hartshorne

     I've been noticing that alongside photos of Jamie-Ray being a lead in Altar Boys , creating Change My Body UK TM , working the door at Freedom - and clearly asking people passing by wherever that rockpool may be to snap a double-bicep - this sort of thing is cropping up on his social media:   We're in The Diner, Jamestown Road, Camden.  He's between tour dates of  The Bodyguard,  and meetings to discuss sportswear and creatine endorsements.  The latter, he says, being all about making his product better.   Between sips of his peanut butter milkshake (he's allowing himself dairy today in my honour - I don't quite know how to take that) he says in his soft Brum, 'I've signed up for a major Muay Thai event in Thailand next February.  I'm going up against one of the Thai fighters.  That's the only real way to gain any respect in the fighting world.  That's why you've been noticing the combat photos.  I...

Psychic Readings

  As it's Summer Solstice, let's revisit my mother's lodge for a seance.  We know from a previous blog entry that lodge members are asked only to heal, and to have no truck with past lives and spirit guides.  See:   Previous blog featuring the lodge...   On the QT they have seances, at which the medium tunes in to great mysteries of the past.  Here are some of the readings.  I've taken out anything that explicitly reveals the subject of the reading.  Then we can play at guessing what it might be...      'There's something to do with a pile of tied up newspapers.  Was there an evening paper delivery?  They need to talk to the paper boy from back then as he saw something relevant but didn't understand at the time what it was he was seeing. There's also something to do with the plants by the front door.  The leaves of one of them were too dark to have been real.  Put there on purpose to deflect attention from ...

More Stuff I've Overheard

'Famous actors don't need to dress like famous actors. Apart from Simon Callow always seems to.' 'She smells like she hasn't actually had that winter coat out as much as needed.' 'Christopher, you can't possibly know that Sea Salt won't have a man's fragrance.' 'None of us on the till thought it was possible to override the take away drinks machine and do an oat milk hot chocolate. But Little Mary went on a mission. Sally and Big Mary were looking on, to see how Little Mary managed it. I stayed out of the way - didn't want any part, sorry. Took ever so long. Janice buttered at least three crusty rolls in the meantime.  'When she handed the drink over Little Mary asked the customer if it was okay - it being a bit of a freak beverage - and he said it wasn't as hot as it could be, but that meant it wouldn't over-melt the marshmallow on his Easter Bunny biscuit, would it?  'Mary said, "All's well that ends well, t...