Skip to main content

Kirstie's Mooing Cow - the Joys of Rural Touring





  I've just notched up a century of shows for the National Rural Touring Forum.
  Not that this impressive record helps sell me to potential promoters on the scheme who insist that I’m too niche for their audience. 
  I send them the audience survey form comment from Barry in Builth Wells:  

  I’m going to tell all my mates to go and see him in Mold.  I drew the short straw having to come and check it out tonight.  You don’t need specialised knowledge of ballet or anything else you might think at all. And I thought it was all bloody hilarious.  The rest of my mates just took one look at his flyer and thought “Who wants to go and see that fat poof being weird?
  
 And still some promoters aren't convinced. 

  Ringing three weeks before to finalise logistics for that hundredth show Charlotte 'Totty' Farrell had said, 
  ‘We’re so thrilled we got you and your show!  So thrilled.  True, I had to slightly overrule other members of the committee who thought that they may have wanted a Skiffle Band.  I told them - you’ll meet them, so don’t say I passed this on - we can have a Skiffle Band any day of the week, but this Madame Galina act is extraordinary!’
  ‘Oh, how ki – ꞌ
  ‘I've had everything through the venue under my chairwomanship.  A disabled performer who we nicknamed "Hattie Jacques in a Wheelchair". She was loved, apparently, by Yehudi Menuhin. And nobody will ever forget the trio. One in a kilt, one in baggy stockings and the other just funny because he was so tall. They ended their playing of all sorts of things on all sorts of musical instruments with the funny one upside down, head in a goldfish bowl with a goldfish in it, playing his violin perfectly in front of this bowl.  They aren't a trio anymore because he was killed earlier this year. The other two are carrying on as a duo.  And bless me but there have been complaints from hall committees that had booked the original trio, but were not getting this emergency duo!  What did they expect - an exhumation to make sure they get the trio as originally programmed?  Imagine the dead one's Grand Finale then. Definitely not something a goldfish would forget every three seconds.  But, look, it’s rough and ready in our village.  For god’s sake, the venue used to be the bus terminus.  We nearly had to cancel you anyway because the local kids had been peeling the corrugated roof off to get at the netballs again.  Disenfranchisement is running me ragged.  So what’s needed first and foremost from the performer – yourself - is mucking in and getting on with it.  Right?  Let’s keep communicado open.’

  With a week to go Totty emailed. 

  SUBJECT:  Something unpleasant to get out of the way.

  I’ve had to defunct one of the outlets where tickets are sold for our NRTF shows, so won’t be absolutely sure of numbers on the night.  It’s, sadly, the village shop, just been taken over by an Indian man.  I was being informed left and right by people that they had been unable to procure the tickets they required from him due to his, on his own insistence, being sold out.  I’ve been away till this last Wednesday, as you know, so I made a swift personal foray in to have a reccy and was sworn blind to by the man concerned that there indeed weren’t any tickets left.  I asked if I could have a little look myself. 
  “Be my guest", bold as brass said he. 
  Of course I immediately found the tickets under the counter where they’d no doubt been all along. 
  Yes, exactly!
  We shall simply have to step up our patronage of the Tourist Information Office, the Opportunity Shop and if all else fails I’ll just sit in a bay window somewhere strategic, wearing a luminous roadwork man’s jerkin inveigling passers-by. Like the sirens on the rocks except you wouldn't be able to hear me singing through double-glazing. 
  See you on the night.

  When I pulled up to the venue on the night Totty, in butterscotch velour onesie, gold belt, court shoes and red pill box fascinator with veil, was pleased.
  ‘Look!’ she said.  ‘The rain’s plumped the evergreens, so we’ll we have a bit of welcoming arbour effect going on.  For the people.’  She turned to me and rubbed her hands.  ‘Right, let’s give our artiste the grand tour.’
  Blood red tiles, reek of diesel.  Totty shoved a table sideways, lifting its leg out of a gouge in the concrete floor.  The performing area was marked out with a strip of bamboo rush matting and an aspidistra placed dead centre on a card table. 
  ‘Just my delicate little touches,’ said Totty.  ‘The aspidistra because I thought how lonely it must be being a solo performer and surely it would be nice to have something alive up there with you?  Your green room, all convenient just off the foyer, and out here is the gents’ - we passed the door - ‘and next to it, the ladies.’  Which she led me into, gesturing around; then shielded the tampon dispenser from my view with her hand. 
  We were back in the foyer. ‘Ah, here's the help!' 
  This turned out to be Beryl, who didn’t like comedy, sorry; but who was a village-minded-wonder in spite of the seizures, early onset dementia and lingering effects of childhood polio.  Beryl had agreed to stay in the kitchen the whole evening and do things, don’t give her another thought, she was quite happy on her own and didn’t need to be jollied along as some did. 

  Half an hour or so before the performance I peeped through the green room door to watch the audience arrive.  Their faces were set stark against the night ahead.   A number of them had brought prizes for the draw: jam, quiche, pheasants.  A woman in a purple hessian smock and ruby-sprayed DMs eagerly showed Totty how the silver milk jug shaped like a cow that she was donating played a tune.  
  ‘See, now, how fabulous!  "Home, Sweet Home" when it’s tilted.’
  'Yes, thank you, Kirstie,' Totty waved both it and her aside. 
  ‘Now remember,’ Totty was admonishing all newcomers. ‘We are here to carouse and do the village proud.’
  ‘Is he it?’ a man asked, catching sight of me peeping.  I ducked back into the green room.   
 ‘Don’t worry about Bert,’ Totty came to reassure me in a whisper probably audible in the Shetlands.  ‘Did you notice his walk?  Lives up a track past Cyril’s Farm.  Wife’s died.  He was letting a hernia drop far below where you ever want it to.  Couldn’t even hold it back with seven tea towels in double knots.  Went to Dr. Coombes about it last month.  When all the tea-towels came off, cow’s udder wasn’t in it, almost down to his knees, apparently.  And when Dr Coombes put his stethoscope to it, he could hear distinct sounds of digestion.’ 
   
  I'm pleased to say that the hundredth show went well.  There was one moment. The second song in My Tutu's Gone AWOL! happens to be "Home, Sweet Home". As I began it, Kirstie piped up,
  'Oh, listen, just like my mooing cow!'  
  
  Which won't go in my audience comments file. 

Comments

  1. Easily Increase Your ClickBank Banner Commissions And Traffic

    Bannerizer made it easy for you to promote ClickBank products by banners, simply visit Bannerizer, and get the banner codes for your selected ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator to promote all of the available ClickBank products.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Mate Jamie-Ray Hartshorne

     I've been noticing that alongside photos of Jamie-Ray being a lead in Altar Boys , creating Change My Body UK TM , working the door at Freedom - and clearly asking people passing by wherever that rockpool may be to snap a double-bicep - this sort of thing is cropping up on his social media:   We're in The Diner, Jamestown Road, Camden.  He's between tour dates of  The Bodyguard,  and meetings to discuss sportswear and creatine endorsements.  The latter, he says, being all about making his product better.   Between sips of his peanut butter milkshake (he's allowing himself dairy today in my honour - I don't quite know how to take that) he says in his soft Brum, 'I've signed up for a major Muay Thai event in Thailand next February.  I'm going up against one of the Thai fighters.  That's the only real way to gain any respect in the fighting world.  That's why you've been noticing the combat photos.  I...

Psychic Readings

  As it's Summer Solstice, let's revisit my mother's lodge for a seance.  We know from a previous blog entry that lodge members are asked only to heal, and to have no truck with past lives and spirit guides.  See:   Previous blog featuring the lodge...   On the QT they have seances, at which the medium tunes in to great mysteries of the past.  Here are some of the readings.  I've taken out anything that explicitly reveals the subject of the reading.  Then we can play at guessing what it might be...      'There's something to do with a pile of tied up newspapers.  Was there an evening paper delivery?  They need to talk to the paper boy from back then as he saw something relevant but didn't understand at the time what it was he was seeing. There's also something to do with the plants by the front door.  The leaves of one of them were too dark to have been real.  Put there on purpose to deflect attention from ...

More Stuff I've Overheard

'Famous actors don't need to dress like famous actors. Apart from Simon Callow always seems to.' 'She smells like she hasn't actually had that winter coat out as much as needed.' 'Christopher, you can't possibly know that Sea Salt won't have a man's fragrance.' 'None of us on the till thought it was possible to override the take away drinks machine and do an oat milk hot chocolate. But Little Mary went on a mission. Sally and Big Mary were looking on, to see how Little Mary managed it. I stayed out of the way - didn't want any part, sorry. Took ever so long. Janice buttered at least three crusty rolls in the meantime.  'When she handed the drink over Little Mary asked the customer if it was okay - it being a bit of a freak beverage - and he said it wasn't as hot as it could be, but that meant it wouldn't over-melt the marshmallow on his Easter Bunny biscuit, would it?  'Mary said, "All's well that ends well, t...