Skip to main content

The Lullaby Test - Songs My Father Taught Me



  'Well, dad, don't have sung "The Three Bells" again, thank you,' I said. 'I have to sing it for a wedding in Aldeburgh on Saturday.'
  Do you know about the lullaby test for singers that are the children of singers? As an adult when I learned "Kathleen", "Fly Home Little Heart" and "Myfanwy" I cried like an old lady. I later found out that my father had sung all of these to me as lullabies. They passed - or should that be failed? -  the Lullaby Test. Sobbing makes singing difficult. Take "Les Trois Cloches". Having made abortive attempt after abortive attempt to sing it through I rang my father.
  ‘Dad, did you used to sing me "Les Trois Cloches" as "The Ballad Of Jimmy Brown"?’
  ‘I did, yes. And the chapel bells were ringing, from…’
  I told him to retrospectively cease and desist in future. 'So far I can’t get past There’s A Village Hidden Deep In The Valley without lying on the floor moaning in the foetal position. And I need the money.’
  I was so poor at the time I said yes to the bass soloist part in Haydn’s Creation for Framlingham College. Knowing that I didn't have the low notes for By Heavy Beasts the Ground is Trod, I took two choir basses to one side.
  ‘Beers on me afterward, lads, if every time my part dips below this note here, C, you put your copies in front of your faces and join in with me.’
  My low notes that night sounded like approaching District Line trains.
  Sad that during the interval I put my collar up to adjust my bow tie, forgot to put it down again and sang part two apparently wearing a Comfy Dog cone healing collar.

  The last time I'd been quite so poor as to need to bribe sixth formers to sing my low F sharps for me was when I was just out of Guildhall and agreed to play Heinrich von Kugelschreiber in Crump’s Christmas Cracker. Heinrich was visiting the arriviste Crump family at Crumpham Hall with his aunt Agathe at Christmas in 1935. I accompanied songs on the Crump's new Bechstein - all from music as I have a terrible memory - sang SIlent Night, then morphed into Madame Galina to perform "The Dance of the Electric Fairy".   
  Along with some notes on our characters, Val, the director of Crump's Christmas Cracker, explained her concept of the revue format:
  'The songs must drop naturally and with a satisfying metaphorical click into place in the dramatic arc of the narrative.'
  This is what she meant by that:

  Lester Crump, host, asked Heinrich's aunt Agathe if she had seen anything interesting since they last partied together.
  ‘Oh, yes indeed,’ she replied, ‘I have been to see that new-as-paint opera with all the black peoples in it.'
  'Do sing us something from it, dear Agathe!'
  Cue for "Summertime".
  ‘And has anybody heard from John and Audrey Christie recently?’
  ‘Oh, yes: surely you knew? They’ve only gone and opened an opera house in their back garden.’
  ‘Where do they live again?’
  ‘Glyndebourne.’
  Cue for the trio from Cosí Fan Tutte.
  ‘And where did you first meet your lovely new bride, Alan?’
  ‘On the Isle of Capri.’
  Cue for "The Isle of Capri"...
  During the interval one night a couple rifled through my scores ready in order on the music rest, apparently to see if there was anything really worth staying for in the second half. They decided not. And didn't replace the scores as they had found them. When it came to it, "The Isle of Capri" had apparently done a Brigadoon.
  The cast, thinking I’d simply forgotten what song came here, tried to help with some felicitous ad-libbing:
  ‘And was it nice on The Isle Of Capri?’
  ‘Yes, The Isle Of Capri was lovely.’
  ‘I’ve never been to The Isle Of Capri.’
  ‘Oh, haven’t you ever been..to The Isle Of Capri?’
  ‘No, never. To the Isle Of Wight, to the Isles of Scilly, but not to The Isle Of Capri.’
  ‘It doesn’t much look like we’re going to make it to The Isle Of Capri this evening, either.’
  I interrupted here. 'Are you sure it was The Isle of Capri you went to, Alan?'
  Alan stared glassy-eyed at me. 'Do you know, come to think of it...'
  'Might it not have been...'
  I was puzzling and puzzling for an appropriate song that I could play by heart. 

  For one night only, however, Alan and his future wife ended up having met at that celebrated, romantic landmark: "My Grandfather's Clock". 
  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mate Jamie-Ray Hartshorne

     I've been noticing that alongside photos of Jamie-Ray being a lead in Altar Boys , creating Change My Body UK TM , working the door at Freedom - and clearly asking people passing by wherever that rockpool may be to snap a double-bicep - this sort of thing is cropping up on his social media:   We're in The Diner, Jamestown Road, Camden.  He's between tour dates of  The Bodyguard,  and meetings to discuss sportswear and creatine endorsements.  The latter, he says, being all about making his product better.   Between sips of his peanut butter milkshake (he's allowing himself dairy today in my honour - I don't quite know how to take that) he says in his soft Brum, 'I've signed up for a major Muay Thai event in Thailand next February.  I'm going up against one of the Thai fighters.  That's the only real way to gain any respect in the fighting world.  That's why you've been noticing the combat photos.  I...

Psychic Readings

  As it's Summer Solstice, let's revisit my mother's lodge for a seance.  We know from a previous blog entry that lodge members are asked only to heal, and to have no truck with past lives and spirit guides.  See:   Previous blog featuring the lodge...   On the QT they have seances, at which the medium tunes in to great mysteries of the past.  Here are some of the readings.  I've taken out anything that explicitly reveals the subject of the reading.  Then we can play at guessing what it might be...      'There's something to do with a pile of tied up newspapers.  Was there an evening paper delivery?  They need to talk to the paper boy from back then as he saw something relevant but didn't understand at the time what it was he was seeing. There's also something to do with the plants by the front door.  The leaves of one of them were too dark to have been real.  Put there on purpose to deflect attention from ...

More Stuff I've Overheard

'Famous actors don't need to dress like famous actors. Apart from Simon Callow always seems to.' 'She smells like she hasn't actually had that winter coat out as much as needed.' 'Christopher, you can't possibly know that Sea Salt won't have a man's fragrance.' 'None of us on the till thought it was possible to override the take away drinks machine and do an oat milk hot chocolate. But Little Mary went on a mission. Sally and Big Mary were looking on, to see how Little Mary managed it. I stayed out of the way - didn't want any part, sorry. Took ever so long. Janice buttered at least three crusty rolls in the meantime.  'When she handed the drink over Little Mary asked the customer if it was okay - it being a bit of a freak beverage - and he said it wasn't as hot as it could be, but that meant it wouldn't over-melt the marshmallow on his Easter Bunny biscuit, would it?  'Mary said, "All's well that ends well, t...