Skip to main content

Move Back to Brighton 12

Flixy asks me again to buy some of the bin bags that Trombone Tracey 'misbought'. I tell her no and say it's between her and TT. As is the whole issue of Flixy allowing TT to move out without paying the last month's rent (using the deposit) and failing to do a walk-through with her. Having done that, I say, Flixy should then have kept money back from the deposit for damages and for proper cleaning. The botched blue paint, scrapes, the nails and hooks, the daubs of Polyfilla, the dried slime (is that an oxymoron?), the grime, dirt, thick dust. Flixy insists as TT moved out the same weekend as I was coming - as though that was somehow a requirement: I could easily have delayed coming till the room was cleaned and repainted - she didn't ever see the room. This isn't true - she made up the bed in it for me.


Or did she do that blindfold?

I ask why she took a deposit from a friend (me) when the place is so cluttered and dirty. 'To make it any worse, Flixy, I'd need to make such an effort - perhaps going down to the bins site on the corner and bringing back some crap, pissing and shitting on it, and spreading that around.' 

Maybe going too far?

'You were just wanting the money,' I say.

She gets tearful. I apologise. 

She insists I have seen the place over the years of visits with more clutter in it. 'Richard moved out a lot of his stuff.' 

I say, 'But Marty's stuff is now piled up in here.'

'Yes, but that's what it is being in a relationship. Some of my stuff is at his.'

'I'm not renting a room at his.'

She makes it sound as though my being here is under the radar - even though the letting agent knows she must be renting to someone, and TT was officially on the lease - and she thought I'd be a good fit because I understand she is a hoarder, like her mother. I stop myself saying my own mother is a narcissistic cunt, does that give me free reign in that regard?, mainly because I'm speaking to a narcissist. 

She says she couldn't dust because of her hip problem. Though she has been performing with that. There was a moment of comedy about her most recent doctor's visit. 'It's not as though I'm doing a nine to five sitting down, I told him. I'm dancing.' Then remembering who she was talking to here, she corrected herself, 'Well...I'm moving around onstage...' 

She says the dust comes so quickly - daily, at least, on the evidence of the toilet cistern - she can't get ahead of it. 'It's being on a street. And I did go round with the hoover nozzle when Trombone Tracey wasn't here.'

'Well, maybe next time fit the nozzle onto the hoover pipe and plug the hoover in and switch it on,' I don't say. 

I ask why she has the box of rusty rope, pegs, a dead bulb, decorative twine, broken flower pots, etc, all filthy on the kitchen window sill. 

'That's for my gardening!'

'You live two floors up.'

She makes a flourish at the window. I ask, 'You mean your window box?'

'Yes.'

Which is where I must admit defeat and move back to Bungay, somehow. 



#memoir #diary #autobiography #biography #diaries #lgbtqia #renting #brighton 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Featuring in The Sunday Times, Nicely...

  This happened. The editor thinks it's a book of dog sitter stories waiting to happen. I am scribbling away at same...  I first house-sat by accident. I was originally at Haven House, Lembton, as a live-in safety net for Lady Olive Simmonds, a seventy-nine year-old Bostonian with a lilac afro, a Temazepam habit and leg ulcers. Haven House was by the sea. Eighteenth century, elegant, comfortable.  But there was Olive... Always in pain; either drunk, hungover or both; barely educated. She had married a man who was knighted, and believed this gave her a licence to be a twat. According to Olive, her fellow Lembtonians were all dull academics - this group having reading ages older than hers, which was thirteen - or failed schizophrenics. She had serious monophobia, with staff working (unnecessarily) every day apart from weekends. At weekends, first thing, anxious, she would ring round the Lembtonians that were still speaking to her - six in number - inviting them for coffee, ...

The Marine Says I Must Re-queer...

                                                                 Being camp in Camp Basra... Stacks, ex-Royal Marines Commando, recently watched my Tutu Went AWOL! show on Zoom. He had notes. I was shifting from foot to foot, he said, and gesturing too much. 'And you must put back the stuff about the Brigadier and your fellow comedian being homophobic...' The Brigadier had been sneering about my act, saying it would be more suited to Butlins. But, more importantly, he believed I was an 'inappropriate influence on 42 Commando'.  Stacks, deadpan, commented, 'Sir, before Iestyn started hanging out with us, sir, it had never occurred to him to play Tiddlywinks with anything other than his thumb, sir.'  My fellow comedian, who I'll call Mark, because that's his name, asked Reg, Garrison Sergeant Major, in front of ...

In The Times again...